Sunday, February 5, 2012

Christmas Special (Spoilers)

SPOILER ALERT: Go no further if you haven't yet seen the Christmas special.



I love the Christmas special. It is my favorite Downton Abbey episode so far and the only one that I have watched at least a half dozen times. :)



The main reason I can point to for this being a favorite is that most things are wrapped up in this episode. There's a lot going on, but no one gets lost in this extra long episode.




It all takes place between Christmas and New Years Eve in 1919. We're told Season 3 will move slower (time wise) and stay in the early twenties. Of course that's necessary due to the aging of the characters. They've already stretched it by going from 1914 - 1920 the first two seasons.


I really didn't like Sir Richard Carlisle. I don't think anyone did. The portrayal of people who have "New Money" was interesting. The way people of old money looked down on them is very different from today. Society has flipped their opinions, if you inherit your money today the feeling is you didn't work for it and society tends to somewhat look down on you for it. I'm not sure if Richard is an example of the majority in that time period. I would think not all self made millionaires were as much of a conniving, spiteful, arrogant ass as he was.





When Richard tells the Dowager they won't see each other again she says, "Do you promise?" I loved it! His expression was good. He saw, maybe for the first time the impression he makes on people.



Very nice of Mary to say a final goodbye to him. She's matured so much since we first see her in season one.




Those who know me know that I was always rooting for Mary & Matthew. I loved seeing Matthew stick up for Mary even never believing they'd ever be together. Her welfare always came first. He loves her, no matter what and never wanted to see her miserable with Richard. I could see where this was all leading, but honestly didn't think they'd give it to us so soon in the series.





 Anna and Bates are true tragic lovers. Will they ever be happy? He'll have to get out of prison eventually I would think, but they could also feasibly go a season without him, just speaking of him from time to time, like they did with Sybil in this episode. We'll have to wait to find out. I love Anna's commitment to him. They truly do love each other. If I had a complaint it would be all of Bates secrets throughout the first two seasons. It all came back to bite him in the butt in the end.




Interestingly in regards to the trial, I don't know if it's the time period but when called to testify you know why. They never put you on the stand and take chances, you get coached and showed how to answer. Unless I guess if you're considered a hostile witness. I just didn't see how the lawyers wouldn't question them first. For that matter how the heck did they know what these people heard when they obviously never spoke of it before the trial? A missing link I can live with, I was simply curious about the writers thinking when writing it.


"I don't often feel selfless, but when I listen to you I do." Great line. I like the consistency of characters in this show. O'Brien isn't two dimensional and her actions of the past play on who she is today. Well done.


Is that compassion on O'Brian's face when Daisy says she's missing William? Yes, I believe it is.




Another example of growth and change in characters is Robert Crawley. "Find a cowboy in the middle west and bring him back to shake us up a bit." Definitely wouldn't hear first season Robert say that.




I like Daisy's storyline in this episode. It was a nice conversation between her and the Dowager. The Dowager Countess telling Daisy it was an act of love, which of course her marrying William was just that, was very sweet. I believe Daisy was in love with William, at least by the time they got married. I like his father too. Interesting how Daisy said she had no parents "at least not like that." Wonder if what she meant by that will be shown in the future.


Anyone else think Carson and Mrs. Hughes should get together? :)




And then there's the ending...


"May they be happy, with my love." We all know who the "ghost" is supposed to be right? 









And they lived happily ever after? Probably not. This is a drama after all. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment